April 14, 2009

Pumpkin Bread

So, I must have been on some kind of bread kick after last week's Banana Bread because I decided to make some Pumpkin bread Monday night. As I mentioned before, this is my second favorite quick bread. Pumpkin in general is not appreciated as is should be. I think my recipe box contains the most pumpkin related recipes than any other letter in the alphabet (even C-cookies). I must have a few different versions of pumpkin pie and cookies and yule logs etc. But for some reason, people only seem to bake with pumpkin around the holidays (which may make it seem more special) but it is so silly to wait! Canned pumpkin is one of the healthiest canned vegetables available - so there is no need to wait until winter to cook with fresh pumpkin. I admit I haven't used it as much recently as in years past.... but hopefully this bread will stir up my pumpkin craving once again. It really is a quick bread - takes about 5 minutes to whip together and the remainder of an hour to bake. I used a recipe I have had a while and continue to edit depending on my mood. Since this bread was intended for breakfast, I wanted to make it a little healthier than the original recipe and it helped that I was almost out of canola oil. I didn't add any fat and subbed it with applesauce and cut down the amount of sugar. The original recipe yields three 3x7 loaves but I like to reduce it by half and use a 5x9 loaf pan. The result is a nice dense bread, and I will say a teensy bit spongy since I cut the oil. I'm pretty sure this is the link to the original recipe - and I will include my version below. Happy Bread Making (Again!)
Pumpkin Bread
8 oz Pumpkin puree (about 1/2 of a can) 2 eggs 1/2 C Applesauce 2 T water 1 1/4 C sugar 1 3/4 C flour 1 tsp baking soda 3/4 tsp salt 3/4 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp nutmeg 1/4 tsp cloves 1/4 tsp ginger Preheat oven to 350*. In a large bowl mix pumpkin, eggs, applesauce, water and sugar. In a small bowl whisk together the dry ingredients and add to the pumpkin mix. Stir until combined. Pour into greased pan and bake about 50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. After 50 minutes be sure to check the bread every 8 minutes or so for done-ness so you do not overcook the bread. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely. I agree with the original recipe - it gets better over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

you might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...