July 7, 2009

A Scone A Day...

does not keep the doctor away... it only encourages physical activity.
I really like scones a lot in spite of their evil fat content. Lucky for me the scones I made don't have the extra fat from heavy cream (buttermilk instead). I have had the intention to make scones for a while now but they never seem to make it from thought to edible good! After my swim I was talking breakfast with my friend, Rebecca, and decided tonight would be a good night to make scones. I had no recipe in mind but found one that used up some ingredients I had on hand.
The scone is similar to a biscuit, except sweeter and usually has a fruit component or can be savory with cheeses. The Scone was nice and flakey and a little ugly with its bumps and lumps (I promise it is supposed to be this way). I added little chunks of banana to the basic dough before adding the liquid and the recipe suggests that prunes or apricots would be nice as well. Scones are pretty easy as long as you don't over mix them. Like any biscuit - Less is More. Hopefully you will have a chance to try them.
Oatmeal Nutmeg Scones
with Banana
1 egg
1/2 C buttermilk
1 2/3 C flour
1 1/3 C old fashioned oats
1/3 C sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 stick + 2 T cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Preheat the oven to 400* and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
Whisk the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter. Add 1/2 C chopped fruit (banana, diced prunes, dried apricot) then mix in the egg and buttermilk until the dough just comes together. Knead in the bowl gently! Turn it out on a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Pat the dough into a 5" round and cut into 6 pieces. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake 20-22 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Cool on a rack for at least 10 minutes or room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. YUMMMMO!!!!!!! I HEART SCONES AND I HEART YOUR COOKING EVEN MORE..

    ReplyDelete

you might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...