October 24, 2009

Easy Bake cOven: Molasses Cookies

I just finished baking cookies. It's a Thursday night, and after one of the best episodes of The Office ever... I enjoyed a tasty gingerbread-esque cookie. This month for the baking club our Dynamic Baking Duo chose two recipes, Molasses Cookies and Apple Pie Cupcakes. I had all intentions of making both, but had a lot of projects going on this month. The cookies were great - after a little tweaking.
I really do love gingerbread in all forms. Cake, bread, cookie, rolled cookie... flat cookie eh hem... Yes, I made a rather thin version of this cookie by accident. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out a really moist batter (too moist) so the cookies flattened out into little ginger crisps in the oven. They were still delicious and thankfully being skeptical, I only made 9 as a test run. I ended up using quite a bit more flour than the recipe called for to get the dough to hand-rolling consistency. Much better! The cookies turned into the little puffs you see in the original recipe. They did flatten out a tiny bit after cooling, but kept their deliciously crisp crust and chewy interior. I saved some dough after deciding these were best just out of the oven and M and I polished them off within a week. (I think he took some to work and I did give some to our neighbor). Too good to pass up.
I saved the flat ones in the freezer because I wanted to attempt an Ice Cream Sandwich cookie. I've only done this once before and it is quite messy... and the cookie has to be the right consistency to be eaten half frozen or all the ice cream will just squeeze out for lack of breaking the cookie with your teeth. Pumpkin Ice Cream, Vanilla Ice Cream, Cinnamon Ice Cream. All seemed to be good choices to use with this cookie. I bought some pumpkin ice cream (though I'm thinking after halloween my pumpkins might make a debut in a pumpkin ice cream creation) and decided to go for the sandwiches.
Spicy Molasses Cookies

1 C sugar 3/4 C Crisco 1/4 C molasses 1 egg 2 1/2 C flour 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp ground cloves 1 tsp ground ginger 1/4 tsp ground cardamom 1/4 tsp salt 2 1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350˚. Mix sugar, shortening, molasses, and egg together until well blended. Dump in dry ingredients, stirring dry ingredients together lightly. Mix together until dough is a smooth consistency. Roll dough into 1 1/4 inch balls, then generously coat each ball with sugar. Place balls on a baking sheet and bake for 9 to 11 minutes, keep on rack for one minute after removing from oven. Cool on a wire rack. They are as the original recipe says best while warm.

Thanks Pioneer Woman

Don't forget to check out the Easy Bake cOven for other entries and of course below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

you might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...