October 4, 2009

Ice Cream! Ice Cream!

I got this fantastic ice cream attachment for my kitchen aid mixer for my birthday this year and wanted to share with you my first creation. I don't want to make everyone nervous, but a friend informed me of a canned pumpkin shortage this year... I went to the store closest to my office to investigate and surely enough, they were out of pumpkin. Bummer. I love baking with pumpkin and will hopefully find some soon.... but this is not the story of lost pumpkin, this is the story of an amazing sale on raspberries! The store had raspberries on sale for only .99 each (carton). I bought 6. I was so proud when I came home to show my husband - silly I know - but you just have to take advantage of sales sometimes. (much cheaper than a shoe sale right?)
I don't think it took 5 minutes before I had my new cookbook in hand thumbing through the raspberry recipes. I didn't have enough to make a complete raspberry ice cream (can you believe it) so I opted for the raspberry swirl. A very simple vanilla ice cream mix with mashed raspberries swirled in before freezing.
It turned out a very nice and light texture ice cream. A good balance between ice cream and fruit, and possibly one of the best vehicles for mini chocolate chips. I hope to be making more soon, though I have instituted a one flavor at a time rule (sorry M). I told him he gets to choose the next recipe... he mentioned some with lots of chocolate and brownies. I told him he should look at the Ben & Jerry's cookbook for that one. Yea for homemade ice cream.
Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream
makes 1 1/2 quarts
Ice Cream:
1 C whole milk
2/3 C sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 C heavy cream
5 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla
Raspberries:
1 1/2 C raspberries
3 T sugar
1 T vodka
for the ice cream, warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. In a medium bowl whisk egg yolks. Slowly pour the milk mixture over the eggs whisking constantly. Return to the saucepan and heat over medium heat until the mix coats the back of a spoon. (stir constantly). In another medium bowl pour in the cream and set a strainer over the top. Once the custard is done pour into the cream and add vanilla. Set in an ice bath and stir until mixture cools. Cover and refrigerate until completely cool.
An hour or so before churning the cream, mash the raspberries with the sugar and vodka. Chill until ready to use.
Freeze the ice cream according to your ice cream machine instructions. Once the cream is done, layer it in a plastic container with spoonfuls of raspberry mix. Use a spoon or small spatula and while keeping it completely vertical, make two swoops around the bowl to incorporate the raspberry mix. Freeze completely (about 4 hours or overnight). Serving with chocolate is definitely recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment

you might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...