February 6, 2010

The Lovely Lady Baker Cooks Chili

Not just any old chili mind you, but the best chili I have ever had. I'm not going to lie. M loves it too. I don't much care for red meat - so a turkey chili is a good compromise and it is healthy too! So healthy that even weight watchers scores it low on the points scale (so says some people I know). Thankfully, good food can taste great.
I'm not the most amazing cook. Fairly mediocre when it comes to making food as opposed to baking. I have my staples, and soup is a big staple. I really enjoy soup and crusty bread, and they both seem to be food I can make without recipes that turn out well. I make a lot of blended soups so every now and then for M's sake, I change things up, add meat, and sometimes come out a winner in this cooking battle.
I found a couple of recipes for Pumpkin Turkey Chili online one night and made some alterations, added a bit of flair here and there and out came this meal. One dish meals are a favorite around this household - less dishes - and soups warm us up in our everlasting winter wonderland (it's cold in our apartment). Hopefully for you, you have a nice cozy kitchen to try this recipe in. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Pumpkin Turkey Chili
1 T olive oil 1 C chopped onion 1 bell pepper chopped 1-2 cloves garlic minced
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 14oz can diced tomatoes 1 14 oz can kidney beans 1 14 oz can cannelini (white kidney) beans 1-1 1/2 C canned pumpkin puree 1 C chicken or veggie broth 1 1/2 T chili powder 1/2 T cumin 3/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp black pepper pinch cayenne pepper 1/4 C fresh cilantro shredded cheese crusty bread or fritos (or cornbread) Saute the onion, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add turkey and saute until cooked. Add spices and cook 2 more minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth and pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. You can add more broth if your chili is too thick. You can also replace broth with beer. Serve topped with fresh cilantro and cheese and some crusty bread or fritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

you might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...